Arduino VESC Remote

Forum dedicated to electrical projects
bolterican

Re: Arduino VESC Remote

Postby bolterican » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:04 pm

It's a really cool job.

I am also making a remote contoller, but the design of my remote is not very good.

If you do not mind, can I get the STL file from your remote?

My email is [email protected].

Thank you.
Attachments
P20151228_101552680_F185E4DC-01DB-49F0-8361-20D0404B3163.JPG

Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Postby Josh Hess » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:47 pm

Hello bolterican,
I will send the current files over to you via direct message so you can test them out. I still have a few revisions before I release them along with the schematic and code so stay tuned for updates.
Cheers!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Postby Josh Hess » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:10 pm

My new tact switches came in and wow are these sensitive! When I first installed them in the remote, I didn't think it was clicking at all. I guess 1N of force is not a lot. Anyway, these may be a bit too soft so I will order some 2N and some 3N ones to play with. Also, these new switches have the same problem as the old with them not activating even when clicked if not enough pressure is applied. Since this is the case, I have thought of a way to implement a spring-like cantilever into the trigger part itself such that when held down, it will apply a constant pressure to the switch even if there is noise in the pressure applied to the trigger itself. This also will also give the trigger a longer throw and will ensure the switch is activated within a larger pressed down range of the trigger. I will begin the redesign of this part today and should have a working prototype within the next few days.

I also rewired the display to SPI and wasted a few hours troubleshooting it to realized that I forgot to desolder the two bridged pads on the back of the display that enables I2C. I am however having some errors in my code that I will have to sort out before continuing with it.

Anyway, updates to come!

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Postby Josh Hess » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:19 pm

Well, things moved a bit faster than I anticipated. I was able to print my trigger prototype and increment through a few revisions very quickly since the build time for it was only 10 minutes. I ended up having 4 revisions to get the print uniform and the feeling satisfactory. Here are some pictures of the revisions and a video comparing the old trigger to the new one:
IMG_7835.jpg

youtu.be/RSL3s4L68RA

I am very happy with how this feels and how well it works. This has been a concern for quite a while so I am glad to see it resolved. I still feel that the switch requires a bit too much force to activate. I'm guessing it is a 6 or 7 Newton activation. I will be finding and ordering some new switches in the same form factor with 2N, 3N, 4N, and 5N activation forces. I think the 3N will be best but I will try all to see.

As usual, updates to come!

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Postby Josh Hess » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:47 pm

An update on the BLE module. Although I was successful in flashing a different firmware on it that supported central mode, this module is proving to be very difficult to use as a serial passthrough. I have started looking at other options and have decided to move away from arduino all together and to just design and PCB my own board with a better module. Unfortunately, this means I won't be releasing the code I wrote for the arduino. I would say it is still possible to use the Adafruit feather m0, but with an nRF module with RollingGecko's code. However, this presents other potential safety issues, so I won't be pursuing this at all and will be moving forward with my custom BLE-based solution.

Petter.olofsson
Areas of Knowledge: Programming, electronics

Postby Petter.olofsson » Sat May 06, 2017 6:09 am

Hey man, any progress? Very interested in this project, i mean i could always use yet another remote.. Hehe.

If you want/need some help, i think that we seem to share som areas of expertise. I'm an electronics engineer.

I think you seem to have thought about most things but, have you been able to test the reliability of the connection to the vesc?

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Postby Josh Hess » Tue May 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Hello,
Yes, I have been working on getting the PCB design finalized. Like I said before, I am switching away from arduino to a standard BLE MCU and IDE. I am currently working on porting my code over to the new module. I am testing and once I have verified my circuit, I will have the PCB prototypes made. I have also tweaked the housing a bit and decided to use a slightly larger color OLED display. I will do some posts about it soon once things start to come together. I appreciate the offer to help and I may post some questions in the coming weeks if I run into some issues. As far as the reliability of the connection is concerned, I have done basic testing and with short proximity (5-10ft) it is very solid even if not line of sight. I will be conducting a series of torture tests and will post the results with RF interference, distance, line of sight blocking and more once I have more of the code done.
Cheers!

Petter.olofsson

Postby Petter.olofsson » Fri May 12, 2017 11:43 am

Alright! Can I ask what MCU you are using instead? I'm currently working with the cc2650 from TI. It's pretty nice but the IDE, CCS, is bloody awful.

Good to hear about the connection, for me that is(haha well yeah it will be at least..) top priority. I used a nyko kama nunchuck before, not so great... using the nano x now and, while it's never lost connection during use, sometimes it's got problems pairing. Not terribly confidence-inspiring, not that you could tell that from how i ride sometimes haha.

Also great to hear a small update and that you are pushing forward. Interested to send me a test-PCB when the time comes?

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Postby Josh Hess » Fri May 12, 2017 4:08 pm

I am currently developeding on the same TI CC2650 MCU. Yeah CCS is kinda anyoing but I'm getting used to it. They do have some nice tutorials under simple link academy. I've been focused on finding a display driver library to use with my oled module. How far have you gotten with the Bluetooth programming?

Yeah I don't trust anything from Enertion to be frank. Too many bad previous experiences. I've heard the nunchuck connection is terrible as well. The nice thing with the TI module is all the diagnostic tools for the RF. You can really get solid data regarding the connection.

Once I have the pcb finished and tested, I'll shoot one your way for sure. I think I'll arrange some kind of beta program similar to what Vedder did for the VESC 6.

Cheers!

Petter.olofsson

Postby Petter.olofsson » Thu May 25, 2017 7:34 am

Haha alright, cool. Yeah i can imagine that you get used to it, it's just some things that really bugs me. I use eclipse every day for developing our firmware, and then ccs to support the cc2650. The import process of examples and linking resources is just a convoluted madness, i mean i got it to work fairly easy, but i also need to make sure that there is a backup and a working copy in the revision system, that someone else can get running!

And all the while not really having the time to deal with that, it's not a part of our main focus as it's just a link to the bluetooth. However, it's all working now and i'm liking tirtos aswell, it seems like a powerful platform.

The connection seems very good aswell, so hopeful for this remote to be solid.

I actually had to resolder the battery in my nano x yesterday, apperently it just came loose.. Looking forward to the beta test!

Return to “Electrical”