Workstation Desktop Build

Forum dedicated to computer hardware related projects
Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Workstation Desktop Build

Postby Josh Hess » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:12 pm

Since I started college, I have primarily used my two laptops for work. They have worked exceptionally well however, as my workloads become larger, programs become more demanding, and time becomes more of a premium, I realized I need something a bit quicker and more powerful.
My previous desktop from high school was an Alienware Area 51 that I ended up completely rebuilding and pushing to the limits. I have wanted to build a new desktop for some time but had no justification to do so until now. Some of the large demanding programs I run on a daily basis include: Solidworks, Cubase, Matlab, KiCad and others. I am also an extreme multitasker so it is not uncommon for some of these programs to be running simultaneously.

Anyway, onto the build. Here is the list of parts that will be used:
CPU: i7 6700k
Motherboard: Asus Hero VIII Alpha
RAM: 32GB Corsair Platinum 3200 2x16GB
Storage: Intel 750 1.2 TB PCIE SSD
GPU:Nividia GTX 1080
Power Supply: Corsair 1200i
Case: Define R5
Cooling: EK Predator 360 w/ 1080 Block

Build log coming soon!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

loretdemolas
Areas of Knowledge: Audio, Computers, Engineering

Re: Workstation Desktop Build

Postby loretdemolas » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:43 pm

Might I suggest getting a Solid State drive for a boot drive. If you are going for speed, having a SSD Boot Drive/OS drive and a Data drive will had a huge spike in performance. You can also invest a little more money and get a decent size SSD to host your OS and a few demanding applications like Autodesk or SolidWorks.

Best Regards,
Sebastian Loret de Mola

Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Re: Workstation Desktop Build

Postby Josh Hess » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:47 pm

Hey Sebastian,
Yes, SSD's are a must for a system of this caliber. I actually have this one here:https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4S83H53150&cm_re=750_ssd-_-20-167-363-_-Product installed and it screams! I have been seeing speeds of around 1GB/s transfers when copying files and programs like SolidWorks load in seconds. Even the largest model I have opens and loads fully in under 5 seconds. I believe the 750 is the fastest SSD you can buy without stepping into the enterprise grade at this time. :D

Cheers!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Return to “Computer”