Motor Dynamometer

Forum dedicated to electrical projects
Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Motor Dynamometer

Postby Josh Hess » Thu May 19, 2016 8:40 pm

Due to interests in high power brushless motors, I will be building a Dynamometer for testing power outputs and the efficiency of motors. I will leave all my models, plans and software open source.

I plan to do something like this: http://vedder.se/forums/viewtopic.php?t=82

Updates to come!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Re: Motor Dynamometer

Postby Josh Hess » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:30 pm

I recently got back around to working on this project. I have had a model for a while now but I never had the time or money for the electronics. However, a friend of mine just gave me his board (was a senior design project I helped him with) and I now have two extra vescs and r-spec motors along with an Arduino, an antispark-switch, and some solid batteries.

I started by wrapping up my 3D model. I designed a laser cuttable model with a modular motor mounting system, fan mounts, and an area underneath for onboard electronics. See below:
Capture 1.PNG

Capture 2.PNG

I then laser cut and dry fit this together. There were a few things I didn't like about it. It seemed a little cramped and there wasn't a lot of room to work especially with wires. I also wanted the bullet connectors to have a place in the wood. Finally, the assembly seemed a little too flexible in the middle due to only one piece holding the halves together. Here are some pictures:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I have decided to revise the design and I will post an update once this is done. After that, it will be time for electronics and coding.

Josh Hess
Site Admin

Re: Motor Dynamometer

Postby Josh Hess » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:22 pm

So I have redesigned the model and I am much happier with the results. I have reduced the side panels from four to two and it is substantially more rigid now. The more centralized design also allows for much easier access to the wiring and motors.In addition to that, I also made the wire feedthrough 3 small holes the exact diameter of the female bullet connectors. This allows for a neat wire job and good positioning of the VESC's. Additionally, holes have been made that allow usb and power to pass into the housing cleanly and mounting points for an LCD screen and two buttons have been added. See pictures below:
Capture 3.PNG

Capture 4.PNG

Laser Cutting:
image.jpeg

Test Fitting:
image.jpeg

Modular Motor Mount System:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Vesc Wire Management:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Electronics:
image.jpeg

Rear USB and Power Ports:
image.jpeg

Mark II Assembly:
image.jpeg

A quick video with it running:

youtu.be/0m0jLCvhluk

That's it for now. Next I will work on finishing the electronics and beginning the code for the arduino. It will have quite a bit of functionality so this may take some time.
Updates to come!

Return to “Electrical”