User Registration Error

Any reports of technical difficulties or known issues will be updated here
Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

User Registration Error

Postby Josh Hess » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:45 pm

For a while now, there have been issues with the user registration forum working correctly. It sometimes would return an error saying "The submitted forum is invalid. Try again later."
This error has occurred for a few different reasons. The first one was because I was using an outdated template style with a newer version of phpbb. This was a fairly simple fix by updating a few bits of code. However, the most recent occurrence really had me scratching my head.
About a week ago, I friend of mine was trying to help someone register on the site and it kept returning the error. I immediately tested it out on my computer and I was able to register an account just fine. I now think this was due to caching either on my end or on cloudflare's end. I thought it was just a fluke thing until today someone else told me they were having the same problem. I tested the user registration again and this time, I got the error.
Googling the error only returns solutions regarding outdated templates/styles so I update my entire phpbb system. Still had the error. I then downloaded the latest prosilver style and reverted to it. No error. Ok so it was something to do with my style. I then started dissecting my modified style code. I read each line and started taking bits out one by one. Finally, of course, the last bit of code I added (the footer) fixed the problem. I then isolated the issue to a bit of php code within the footer to pull the current year for the copyright date. For some reason this bit of php was screwing up the entire registration form.
Anyway, I know this is kind of a story, but the issue is now solved and documented for future reference.

Here is the bit of code that was causing the problem:

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css"/>

<div class="footer1">
<p>
Copyright @ 2015-<?php echo date("Y", time()); ?> Radical Creation. All Rights Reserved | Forums Powered by <a class ="footerLinks" target="blank" href="http://www.phpbb.com"><u>phpBB</u></a>.
</p>
</div>

This is the updated code:

Code: Select all

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="default.css"/>

<div class="footer1">
<p>
Copyright @ 2015-2016 Radical Creation. All Rights Reserved | Forums Powered by <a class ="footerLinks" target="blank" href="http://www.phpbb.com"><u>phpBB</u></a>.
</p>
</div>
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Return to “Website Reports”