Boosted Board Repair Loose Motor Mount

Forum for discussing all things Boosted
Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Boosted Board Repair Loose Motor Mount

Postby Josh Hess » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:30 pm

I've had my boosted board for just over 6 months now and I have put over 700 miles on it. During this time, I have had the motor mounts wiggle loose two times. The first time was about a month in and was a result of hitting a large pothole. I decided to fix it by taking it apart and applying some JB weld to the motor mount and the truck. It has held up for the last 4 or 5 months and now the other mount started to come loose. I have had a lot of questions about how I did it so I'll make a step by step tutorial this time around.

So why do the mounts come loose in the first place? Isn't there a set screw securing them? Well actually the mounts are held to the truck with a soft rubber like epoxy that boosted applies during assembly. The set screw is only there to align and hold the mount wile the epoxy dries. If you try to tighten the screw once the mount is loose, it will only dig into the aluminum truck and continue to rattle. If you are unfamiliar with the sound it makes when it is loose, here is a video of mine when the first mount came loose:

youtu.be/5BCAmcu06qo

Lets get started! You'll need a socket wrench or skate tool, a 1/8 Allen key, q-tips, JB weld two part epoxy, something to mix on or in and some paper towels.
image.jpeg

Start by taking the wheel and pulley assembly off along with the little rubber o rings.
image.jpeg

Next loosen the set screw located on the rear of the mount.
image.jpeg

Wiggle off the motor mount being careful not to tug on the wires.
image.jpeg

Mix the epoxy.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Apply epoxy generously to truck where the mount goes.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Carefully slide mount back on while holding wires so they don't touch the wet epoxy.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Wipe excess.
image.jpeg

Put wheel back on and don't forget the rubber o rings. Make sure belt is properly centered and tighten set screw. Double check the alignment, do final clean ups and let cure for at least 10 hours. (15-24 is optimal)
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

That's it! See not so bad. Sure beats waiting two weeks for boosted to do basically the same thing!
I hope you found this helpful or interesting. If you have any comments or concerns, feel free to message me or leave a reply here.
Cheers!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

miller

Re: Boosted Board Repair Loose Motor Mount

Postby miller » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:15 pm

Thanks so much for creating this howto. I've had my board for 4500 miles and have had their motor mounts replaced by Boosted before, but your process brought the board back to that "just like new" feeling once again.

Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Re: Boosted Board Repair Loose Motor Mount

Postby Josh Hess » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:06 pm

miller wrote:Thanks so much for creating this howto. I've had my board for 4500 miles and have had their motor mounts replaced by Boosted before, but your process brought the board back to that "just like new" feeling once again.

Sure thing! Yeah, I have had my board in twice for that same thing. This is just much more convenient and works just as well or better.
Cheers!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Return to “Boosted Boards”