E-Board Users Preferences

Forum dedicated to discussing all things relating to electric longboards
Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

E-Board Users Preferences

Postby Josh Hess » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:55 pm

I have been a long time follower and contributor on the boosted reddit community, and I recently decided to post some straw polls to see what preferences current boosters have on things such as battery improvements, board power and weight. Here are the polls:

The first thing I looked at was the battery and its design. As you can see, there is a strong interest in improving the battery tech as to be expected. I also want to note that the swappable battery got the majority of the votes. This again is expected as it would be an additional feature to an already familiar product design and thus is favorable to the community who owns that product. However, from a person who commutes everyday with the board, having additional battery packs, although nice in theory, would be a hassle in practice. Buying, charging, and carrying extra battery packs would be detrimental to most end users experience with the product in my opinion. It also introduces considerable engineering difficulties and may negatively impact safety and reliability, both of which are paramount in this application.

The next thing I looked at was the desired power output of the board. Looking at the results of the power poll, you can see that it is pretty divided among the 2000w (dual plus level) and the 4000w option. This is most likely people in he community who are content with the acceleration the dual plus has, or wants a little bit more. However, Jumping to the 7000w option, you see that it wins the majority by far. These votes are most likely from the adrenaline junkies, or those who want maximum performance and no limitations. I personally agree with the 7000w option and I feel that it should be up to the user to define their level of power to what they like.

The last thing I looked at was weight preferences. As to be expected, the lighter, the better, but I wanted to see how many people would be accepting of an additional 5lbs or even 10lbs for extended power and or range. It turns out that 20 LBS seems to be the sweet spot as long as there is additional range and power available in exchange. This is what I thought, initially but weight is not a larger concern to me where as it seemed to be with many other people.

So in conclusion, the ideal board which combines the following would:
- Weight no more than 20 LBS
- Have a range of 10-15 Miles
- Have a max power output of ~7000w
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Return to “Electric Longboards”