Laser Cutting Longboard Griptape

Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Laser Cutting Longboard Griptape

Postby Josh Hess » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:17 pm

I have been quietly working on an extraordinary electric longboard build (build log coming soon) and one of the things I wanted to do was a custom griptape job. I have seen how they are typically done and they are usually imperfect. Having access to a laser cutter in the lab I work at, I decided to play around with some different cutting methods.

Firstly I wanted to see if there was a difference in quality between cutting from the back (sticker side) and top (grip side). I ran the same cut on two test pieces and the one cutting from the back was not only cleaner but didn't discolor the surface around the edges at all on the grip side. Thus this is the favorable side to cut on. See videos below:

youtu.be/ocU2xvQZ79I

youtu.be/jTe9tBYgO-U

The second thing I wanted to figure out was how to cut out my logo for the board. The logo I'm using has several small parts that would fall and get lost and were a pain to individually place and line up. Because of this, I got the idea to only cut through the sticker and glue while leaving just a little bit stuck together on the grip side. Kind of like how perforated paper stickers are. After playing with the settings for a while, I determined that the best cutting settings for regular grip tape on my laser cutter were as follows: Power 100%, Speed 60% PPI 200. Here are some pictures of the results:

Off the cutter:
image.jpeg

Peeling up the sticker on the peices I want to stick:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Peeling Up Pieces:
image.jpeg

Final Result:
image.jpeg

I hope you found this to be helpful or interesting!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Return to “Other Art”