Wire Spool Dispenser

Forum dedicated to woodworking projects
Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Wire Spool Dispenser

Postby Josh Hess » Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 pm

I was cleaning up the engineering lab I work at when I noticed we had a bunch of wire spools laying around. I thought it would be cool to have a holder for them and I decided to make one out of scraps we had laying around. All of the cuts were done spur of the moment so I don't have any templates or plans but it is simple enough to look at the pictures and figure it out.
My original plan was to just make a holder with a base and a removable aluminum rod. However I came up with a few other ideas as I went. I decided to add additional vertical rods on the base as well as a front panel where the wire could be pulled through and tied. I think it turned out great with only about 30 mins of work and it will make getting and storing wire much easier for everyone. Here are some pictures:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Something I just thought of is to replace the screws the wire wrapped around with little alligator clips so that the ends of the wire don't get bent every time. Perhaps I will update this if I find some extra clips at a hardware store.
Anyway, that's it for this project, just figured I'd share this useful little contraption.
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

PeterJohn
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics,Computer,Material Science

Re: Wire Spool Dispenser

Postby PeterJohn » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:35 am

Hi...great work you did. Its looking really helpful, because spools of wires are really a problem.
I liked your idea to add vertical rods, here atleast you can wrap the small spools.

Josh Hess
Site Admin
Areas of Knowledge: Electronics, Product Design, Manufacturing
School/University: UCF

Re: Wire Spool Dispenser

Postby Josh Hess » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 pm

PeterJohn wrote:Hi...great work you did. Its looking really helpful, because spools of wires are really a problem.
I liked your idea to add vertical rods, here atleast you can wrap the small spools.

Thanks! Yes, it was always a pain to both store and use these spools without making a mess. This was such a simple project and it has really worked well these past months.
Cheers!
Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination.

Return to “Woodcraft”